What is an ADU?
How multi-family investors increase ROI with ADUs
- Increase your property value: The additional livable space created by ADUs boost the square footage of your property.
- Accelerate cash flow: ADUs provide a new rentable unit, helping you collect more rent each month on your existing properties
- Shorten construction timelines: Prefabricated ADUs significantly simplify the construction process — meaning you’ll start generating more rental income faster.
How California is streamlining ADUs for multi-family investors
Scott Chase, Chief Operating Officer
Intero, a national real estate services provider
- No owner-occupancy requirements: For ADUs approved between January 1, 2020, and January 1, 2025, owner-occupancy requirements are eliminated — paving the way for landlords and mult-ifamily investors to add ADUs to their investment properties.
- Shorter approval timelines: Local agencies must now approve ADU applications in 60 days (formerly 120 days).
- More lenient size requirements: No matter your jurisdiction, detached ADUs can be built up to 800 square feet, as long as they are less than 16 feet high and respect 4 foot rear and side yard setbacks.
- No more impact fees: ADUs smaller than 750 square feet will no longer incur an impact fee.
- Limited HOA approval power: HOAs are no longer able to ban or unreasonably restrict the construction of ADUs on single-family lots.
How Abodu works for multi-family investors
If you’re interested in adding an ADU to your multi-family property, Abodu is here to help simplify the process. We provide concierge-level service at every step — from permitting and design to off-site construction, delivery, and installation. Our collection of studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom ADUs are designed by world-class architects and include premium, customizable features.
- Fast timelines: We work with cities to pre-approve our permits, enabling drastically shorter projects — think 4-6 weeks for permitting, and just 6 months to project completion.
- Seamless construction process: Prefabricated ADUs mean simpler construction and less disruption for tenants.
- Beautiful designs: Our ADUs boast high-quality Scandinavian design and premium materials.
- Straightforward pricing: Our ADUs start at $228,800 with no hidden fees. With the Abodu Pricing Guarantee, if the cost of your project changes, we guarantee that we don’t profit from the change.
And multi-family investors can rest assured that Abodu ADUs are built to state building codes to ensure you increase your property value well beyond the cost of the project.
Case Study: 1000ADU
Add an Abodu ADU in 3 steps:
Customize & Build
Delivery & Install
Ready to get started? Get in touch!
Abodu currently offers our full service in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, and Seattle. To find out if we can add space at your place, please fill out the Abodu contact form here and we’ll be in touch.