8 Creative Ways to Use an ADU or Backyard Home
ADUs have become a popular way for homeowners to create additional space on their property for a variety of uses. Curious how a backyard home could transform your space? In this article, we’ll help you imagine the possibilities.
What is an ADU?
ADU stands for Accessory Dwelling Unit. ADUs are permanent structures that provide a fully-appointed living space in the backyard of an existing residential property. They can range from full custom mini-houses with plumbing fixtures and appliances to a dressed-up garage or shed. You might also know them as a backyard home, granny unit, in-law apartment, guest cottage, carriage house, secondary dwelling unit — the list goes on! Lawmakers in California and Washington recognize ADUs as a vital tool to solve today’s housing crisis, and recently passed a number of initiatives to reduce red tape and streamline approval processes for building ADUs. For homeowners, ADUs help increase your square footage and maximize your property value without having to go through a major remodel.
What you can do with an ADU: 8 ideas
The appeal of an ADU is that it can be used for any number of purposes — whether you want to host visitors, set up a remote work area, or generate rental income. And with detached ADUs like Abodu’s, you don’t have to worry about shared walls. Here are just some of the ways you can make the most of the additional space provided by a backyard home:
Rent out the ADU to bring in additional income and set yourself up for retirement.
Move into the ADU and rent out your current home to generate rental income and enjoy less upkeep.
Create a peaceful space to work remotely with no interruptions.
Offer comfort and privacy for visiting family and friends.
Provide a home for family members in need of care.
Give adult children their own space as they figure out their next career move.
Pursue your hobbies in a backyard art studio, yoga retreat, or home gym.
Enjoy a flexible, multipurpose space and use your ADU for all of the above!
What differentiates the Abodu ADU experience?
- White-glove service: Get concierge-level support at every step — from permitting and design to off-site construction, delivery, and installation. *
- Fast timelines: By working with cities to pre-approve permits, we offer drastically shorter project timelines — think 4-6 weeks for permitting, and just 6 months to project completion. *
- Seamless construction process: Prefabricated ADUs mean simpler construction and less disruption at your home — Abodu workers will be in your backyard for as little as two weeks. *
- Beautiful designs: Our collection of studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom ADUs boast high-quality Scandinavian design and premium, customizable features. *
- Straightforward pricing: Our ADUs start at $228,800 with no hidden fees. With the Abodu Pricing Guarantee, if the cost of your project changes, we guarantee that we don’t profit from the change.
Add an Abodu ADU in 3 steps:
We meet you in person to check if your backyard is eligible for an ADU and confirm it’s a great fit for Abodu.
We handle everything from custom options and upgrades, to permits prior to building your Abodu home.
We walk you through your new Abodu and explain all the features, bells, whistles, and custom details.
Ready to get started? Get in touch!
Rent out the ADU to bring in additional income and set yourself up for retirement. Whether you need to provide housing for your college grad, a place to work from home, or any other of the many uses for an ADU, Abodu will help you get there.
We currently offer our full service in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, and Seattle. To find out if we can add space at your place, please fill out the Abodu contact form here and we’ll be in touch.